Thursday, March 24, 2005

Step by Step

Ok, I have a confession to make. I enjoy the TV show, for the most part, Step By Step. I can enjoy Patrick Duffy's corny humor, the pseudo Brady Bunch theme, and several attractive girls (ok I'm shallow I know it). But today I stumbled upon an episode that somehow I have never seen. It's on twice at 2 and 2:30 on ABC Family. I got to my hotel just in time to see it. I know why I've never seen this episode, they most likely never show it because it's HORRIBLE.

Here's the quick summary of the show. Dana (Staci Keanan) goes to a bar to see a band perform that she wants to. Frank (Patrick Duffy) and Carol (Suzanne Summers) told her not to go. She goes anyway of course, and her sister Karen (Christine Lakin) rats her out. It's impressive that I can name all the actors not gay. She gets there, and inevitably there are a ton of unsavory characters who want to take Dana home and do not nice family approved Step by Step stuff to her. Cody (Sasha Mitchell who eventually ends up beating his wife in real life) has a hunch that she would go there and comes to her rescue. The whole bar turns on him so he's outnumbered roughly 12 to 1. This is where it goes downhill. THEY BEGIN FIGHTING HIM ONE ON ONE! Forget the fact that they said he was doomed because he's outnumbered. They totally remove that advantage and fight him one at a time. It's gay too. They use gay fight moves. Like a guy takes a pool stick and starts making noises while twirling it. Cody counters with a mop.

Then a guy comes and tries Mortal Kombat (great game by the way) moves on him, he throws him through the window countering with his "Wooooooah who put a window there?!?" They then decide to get up and use all of their strength at once. At which point he's outnumbered and Frank shows up at the last moment and helps Cody clean house. Oh yeah, did I mention that Frank and Cody only have to fight two people at a time. No gang in real life is this stupid. It would have been much more believable if they had maybe 6 members in their gang. Frank, who's old and wearing jeans and flannel, and Cody clean house. Thus the day is saved.

I'm pretty dumb. I'm usually able to suspend reality for a while in an effort to enjoy a tv show or a movie. But this was far too off the wall for me to even buy. I'm not watching Step by Step for the rest of the week. Oh yeah that's only one day ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty dumb.

Admitting it's the first step.