Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Andrew's Dilemma and My Beef

Andrew,
I totally understand your problem. I experienced the same feelings of boredom, hopelessness, and general overall despair. It was called the end of the Steeler's season. We just need to dig down and remember why we decided to blog in the first place. I know the reason I let you suck me into this horrible experience was to rail against any of the following: the liberals that are ruining America (yes I whole heartedly believe that statement), MTV for sucking (the subject of my blog today), and blogging about people doing good deeds (which I've failed at lately.) Somewhere I got sidetracked along the way. I realized that I just don't have enough material in my life, since I work all day, to talk about any more. It's the plight of the working man. Life gets a little more boring.

I'm going to begin doing several things. I'm going to blog maybe once every two or three days. With this and my website that I write articles two times a week for, www.youvegottalovesports.com nothing like a shameless plug, I just can't write any more. Both of them suffer. Thing two that I'm going to do. Try to do a few different types of blogs a week. One will be like the one today, railing agains leftist America or horrible television. The other one or two will just be random musings. Like when did Step by Step jump the shark? Ok that was a bad example, clearly when Lily was born and was seven years old next season yet no other character aged seven years. Horrible mistake. How about this script writers, ADOPT A FREAKING CHILD. So there will be a couple types of blogs. Finally, I'm not just going to hastily throw rants on here, I'm going to commit some time to those few blogs (in theory until I get lazy and do it quickly). That way my blog won't read, "MTV sucks I hate it!" So stay strong Andrew, I'll keep the ship afloat until your glorious return.

Todays blog will deal with the horrible state of MTV. MTV for those of you ignorant of any pop culture stands for Music Television. I don't know when it started, I said I'd put thought in my blog, not actual research. (Side tangent people need to quit putting so much time and research into their blog. You are amateur journalists at best. Really you're just another hack who just wants to have someone care about their thoughts. Less research on your blogs people.) So back to the subject at hand which is MTV. I have several beefs with MTV. I don't really know to the extent that I want to blog about all of them, but I will mention several of them.

MTV, like ESPN, has diluted it's product beyond the point of no return. Case in point for ESPN. The other night, they were running that gay poker drama Tilt on ESPN and ESPN U was showing the Big 12 conference tournament, actual sports. That would be great if my cable company carried ESPN U, but they don't. So instead of getting the Entire Sports something Network I get poker dramas and Dale Earnhardt movies. The same is true with MTV 2. That's the station that carries music information and videos, but you only get it if you have Direct TV satellite.

Not only do they not show music, but the few shows that do, don't. Take TRL for example, which is people who watch MTV and want to see music videos, requesting to see certain videos in the top 10 countdown format. They talk on the show, show screaming people on TV, talk to washed up celebrities or the newest one to release a CD, and then show maybe on average 27 seconds of the video. That's horrible. That's the POINT OF THE FREAKING SHOW! Show music videos for goodness sake. VH1 on the other hand shows all the videos in their countdown and only shows clips of the ones that drop a lot, a.k.a. the ones people don't want to see as much.

This blog is approaching way to long, but stay with me. MTV Choose or Lose voting campaign. A total joke. It's great if you want to register people to vote, but when you do so with the likes of: Ashton Kutcher, Mary J. Blige, Eminem, Dixie Chicks, Cameron Diaz, Kirsten Dunst, and Brad Pitt (all at democratic conventions with Kerry - Edwards posters behind them) it's kind of biased and swayed. Oh yeah, they may have briefly mentioned republican celebrities like Ted Nugent, way to be fair MTV. They could use what little popularity in pop culture they still have as a TV station for good, but no they go completely biased and one sided saying choose or lose, but basically saying choose for the democrats to run this country. Way to throw Cameron Diaz out there or Ashton Kutcher (both of whom I am sure are well versed on politics and the state of America) and have them support voting for democrats and voting in general. Of course they're democrats. They don't want any sense of accountability at all. Abortions are great since we sleep around all the time and need to get rid of a few kids. They don't care about taxes, they have a ton of money to waste and throw away. Protection for the American people, who cares they have entourages. What a bias joke MTV.

Last straw for me comes last night. My good fellow blogger Andrew and I are out a local bar. I'm eating a few nachos, drinking a beer, and smoking a semi-decent ... ok awful ... cigar. But it's a good time. The TV in front of me has MTV on. They're not showing sports as normal because the only sport on last night was women's college hoops. No one wants to watch a basketball game where no one dunks, they barely can hit a 3, and the final score is something similar to 49-44. Way to go NHL by being on strike we really could have used you last night. MTV though is running some dumb show about Real World fighting Road Rules and they all vote each other off blah blah blah. I'm used to it. We have no sound in the bar, just pictures. But all I know is the next show that comes on MTV MUSIC TELEVISION is some show with Cameron Diaz (liberal) and Eva Mendez, and like Method Man, on an elephant somewhere in some middle of nowhere hole. They're cleaning the freaking elephant. They show shots of the elephant pooping in the river and the girls getting all dirty while trying to clean the elephant / ride it. If anyone, ANYONE, can tell me what this has to do with music television in the slightest sense, I'll give you a dollar. And you can't say Method Man is a former rapper, he wasn't even talking about music or rapping. This is a waste and is so far off the beaten path. This show should be on discovery or outdoor network or animal planet. Why the crap is it on MTV!?!

I'm never watching MTV again. Ever. I went home last night and deleted the channel from my lineup. So when I'm channeling up on my TV, it skips channel 39 the worst channel ever in the history of cable. MTV, you've gone so far away from music and basic reality that you just lost a longtime viewer who was on the fringe. Good bye forever MTV, hello VH1, Fox News, and ESPN ... for a while at least.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Keith...that's serious. I enjoy you when you rant...even if I don't necessarily agree with everything you say, you're pretty funny and well-versed...nice work. As for MTV sucking...AMEN! I hate them. I was home this past weekend, the only place I can catch up with music videos, and do you think I saw one complete video on MTV? NO! Not one...but there was a whole heck of a lot of that Ashlee Simpson show...right...because I turned on Music Television to listen to some spoiled brat whine and cry about how much she sucks on Saturday Night Live, her boyfriend who happens to have a career doesn't call her enough and she doesn't like the color of her bedspread in her over-priced house...WHAAAA! As for the chose or lose campaign...I'm with you on this one. Because let's face it, not many people between the ages of 18-25 think for themselves. I hated that campaign, thought it was unfair and absolutely ridiculous (although a fact is still a fact: Brad Pitt is gorgeous...deomocrat or not). But the good news for all is they didn't win anyway. So I guess all's well that end's well. But as for me and my house...we will watch VH1, because it comes with cable and it shows videos and washed up celebrities making fools of themselves...thank you VH1.

Anonymous said...

Sir, I saw a comment you left at Kender's site about hating the ACLU. I think you will love my site. It is devoted to exposing the ACLU. Blogger.com is having a few problems right now, but check it out and leave me a comment if you like it. Your site is pretty cool. Thanks, Jay

loboinok said...

Oops the above post is me. I didn't mean to post anonymous.

DMac said...

Keith,
You are so right. MTV sucks!!! I remeber when they showed some music on MTV. I have no clue what happened. What scares me is if this is what MTV has become in the last 2o years what is going to happen in the next 20 years.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Coming from a kid who is watches 3 stations: ESPN, MTV, and FX. MTV is getting really bad. Given some reality shows are good on MTV, when there is a music background to them. . .but there isn't. When TRL first came out, it was this generations "American Bandstand" and Carson Daly is the new Dick Clark. . .now you turn it on and you hear a chick named La La talked about random stuff with a voice that sounds like she just got back from a Steelers game. What ever happened to Carson. I have found a station in Erie that I love. MTV Hits. It plays music 24/7. No reality crap. No Gay real world characters. Music Videos.

Keep up the good articles on the sports website. . its great.

Anonymous said...

I agree as well that MTV has become nothing but a propaganda station for the cultural marxists (masquerading as liberals)and that music has less to do now with their programming than ever before. By the way, MTV first began airing in 1981. The first video played was "Video Killed The Radio Star." No research necessary, I'm just getting old.

Anonymous said...

Hey fairy, good call on MTV man...it should be called RTV (Reality Television) what a waste of time.....and reality for that matter.