Thursday, March 24, 2005

And the moral isssssss

First,

Let me agree with Keith. Step by Step is a great show, and all throughout junior high I totally had the hots for what's her name, the dark haired girl. Actually, turns out I still do. I'm going to go find her fan club and ask her out on a date.

Secondly!

The moral of the story is this...and it actually hearkens back to Keith's do-gooder philosophy on life. As I'm driving through the snow, there is only one set of car tracks to let me know where the road is. That's the only way that I know that the road is underneath me. I was comforted to know that someone had braved the snow, and had laid a little path for me to follow, unbeknownst to them. At one point in my travels, I passed everyone on Interstate 86 and no one was in front of me...well, at least no one had been in front to leave a trail. At that point I was blazing my own trail. Granted it wasn't a straight line, and it certainly didn't clear enough of the road to make driving safe; though I was scared to death to drive on this tundra that used to be a road, I knew that people behind be would be able to see my tracks and say "Ok there's a road underneath me". Either that, or they would see where I skidded off the road onto the exit ramp and say "Woof I'm not going to go that way!! That leads to certain doom!"

I think you can see where I'm going with this people. I wasn't out on the road intentionally to blaze a trail in the snow. The trail blazing was in effect a biproduct of my being on the road...of life!! We do have the choice to live a life that blazes a trail. We have the opportunity to lay a path in the snow of life and say "Hey, it's ok to drive here, there's solid ground underneath you". And even when we derail in life, and everyone can see how we screw up, it still gives us the chance to look back from our wrecked car and tell people "HEY! Don't drive there (pointing to skid marks). It's really not a good place to be". However you blaze your trail in life, just keep in mind that you are indeed blazing a trail whether intentionally or unintentionally. And if you value your posterity, you'll try to stay on the road!

That's the object lesson I learned from the paths, or the lack thereof, in the snow on Interstate 86 between Arkport and Olean, NY. It may sound cheezy, but I just thought I would share it with you all. Keep on rockin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deep. So very deep.