Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Blao!

It's like blao! That's what the rappers say at least. I don't have a whole lot to say at this late hour other than what Andrew said. We are in our apartment and things are starting to shape up. My quality of life has definitely dropped a good thousand points, but at the same time, it's improving. I have my own space again, which I haven't been able to say for roughly a year. I got cable and internet today so I again have access to the outside world. Just a taste of things that you take for granted until they return: I was watching Hannity and Colmes tonight while hanging up pictures. Once Colmes sufficiently pissed me off with his raging liberalism I turned on the U2 concert from Slane Castle in Ireland. Either way it's sweet, it's like having a large single in college, but only I can put nails in the walls. All in all, not a bad gig. I can look up and see myself surrounded by my shrine to U2.

The only thing that is yet to be put up is my Steelers neon sign and I may just wait to do that. It's a heavy piece of stuff and I want to make sure that I do it correctly. But just having it on in my room on some boxes is considerably lifting my moods. The room has a ton of my flavor but in a bachelor kind of way really. I have all my posters up on the wall just kind of hanging with duct tape or poster putty. It's a far cry from my office where everything is framed and matching. Here is home and home is all the things you enjoy: Steelers, U2, and the Boston Celtics ... most likely in that order.

Question to ponder on a serious level for the day - Do you ever wonder if we will ever make an impact in this world? I'm talking real impact not something like a great epitaph and tons of people saying, "He was a great guy, truly good guy." I'm talking like Brad Pitt lines in the movie Troy. When the messenger boy says, "The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him." Brad Pitt, Achilles, just responds simply, "That is why no one will remember your name." So hard right now.

I have a desire to leave a mark. I'm assuming all of us do, and currently these are motives that I have to keep from being my sole drive and motivation. These are ok things to desire, ambitions to strive for, but they shouldn't dictate life decisions. I really want to be sure that God is driving decisions that I make, not just the desire to be as sweet as Brad Pitt. I know my blogs are usually light hearted and I hope humorous but this is something that has been driving me of late. How can one do something that is so great everyone will remember him. If only I had created Gummy Bears ... then people would never forget my name.

No comments: