Thursday, May 19, 2005

Hey Mae!

Today, upon the recommendation of Diana, I went out and bought the newest album by Mae. Normally I'm not the type of guy to just go out and 1) buy an album let alone 2) buy an album of a band I've never listened to until today. Personally I am a fan of face-smashing, neck-wrecking heavy metal. Mae is not anything like this. But something came over me, and I decided that I would go out, on a whim, and check Mae out.

Let me tell you what, this album has completely crushed me, and I could not be happier.

I don't know if I've ever bought an album like this in my entire life. I started to listen to it in the car on the way home from Best Buy in Syracuse, and I didn't want to get out of the car. Ever. It's a whole hour of storytelling, picture book-esque, melodic heart-break-rock. The album comes with it's own illustrated book, and the opening track encourages the listener to take an hour out of their day to follow along with the CD by reading the lyrics that accompany the CD. It's truly revolutionary. I am not even going to go into more detail because I feel like if I tell you what happens, then I'll be ruining a wonderful story that you, the music fan, needs to explore. I think the only thing that I'm pissed about is that if I ever aspire to be a recording artist, I'm going to have to be a lot more creative now that I've got Mae, the spoiler, to set the standard. Go get Mae's new album, "The Everglow". Thanks Diana, for the recommendation.

No comments: