Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The "L" Word

So I keep getting yelled at by people since I never blog. These people are right. I don't blog. I don't know why since I have tons of time on my hand, but I think it's because I always figure my blogs should be about something. They should be well-researched, solid, and potentially read by conservative radio personalities since they're sweet.

Well ... my blogs are not like that. I think I just need to accept it. We tried to reformat, but try as we might, Andrew and I are still blogging about semi-trucks and stupid people. So without further ado ... I'm back. (I wonder how many times I have said this in past blogs? At least a half dozen I'm sure.) So I was looking for some TV clip of the Today Show (read Horrible Show) when I clicked on a link to an article, The Right Time to Use the 'L' Word: Love. A couple of points come to mind:

1.) Thanks for defining what the 'L' word is. I was really confused. I thought you were referring to licorice.

2.) This article is written by someone with a doctorate. I have lost all faith in higher education. I could have written this article. Here's a link to her site. Read the Tom Brokaw quote in the bottom left!

3.) He used the word sagacity! That's unreal. The second paragraph of her "About her page" includes the sentence, "She has interviewed Woody Allen, Tom Brokaw, Gail Sheehy and Rosie O'Donnell" Wooooooooo! Man she's so sweet now. I didn't even know Dr. Gail Saltz existed 24 hours ago, but I'm thinking she's lame.

4.) This article is garbage and I'm going to point a few reasons why. The internet allows stuff like this to become important and taken as serious writing. This article is so lame and here's why!

In paragraph four she says, "The power of the 'L' word is intense." Then in the next paragraph she goes on to define what love is. If you're going to make a serious point, can you use more serious terminology please? We're not in third grade here. You're not passing me a note asking, "Do you like me check yes or no?" Can we just come out and call it saying I love you. Can we call it something a little more mature here Dr. Gail?

Then in paragraph five she gives us this nugget of wisdom:
"What does love mean anyway? Sometimes the definition is murky. When you say, “I love you,” you may mean that you feel close to your boyfriend, he seems right for you, and you want a future together. He may see saying “I love you,” as meaning that you have to get married. And if he doesn’t feel obsessed with you, then he may not think that he’s in love with you. Sometimes people confuse lust and love. Having great sex is terrific, but does it mean love?"

Are you serious? Did you just write a paragraph FOR MSNBC.COM WHICH IS A FREAKING NEWS WEBSITE listing examples of what people may think love is?!?! I think she did. These are thoughts that we all have on a daily basis. I just wasted like 30 seconds reading it, and now like 15 minutes more blogging about it. How is this worthy of being a news site? Shouldn't this be in like Cosmopolitan or something?

More sage advice from Dr. Gail, "Someone who can’t say, “I love you,” may have a problem with commitment."

Really?

You think?

I never would have guessed that. Huh.

Ok this one is good:
"The point is to try to wait to say, “I love you,” until you feel pretty certain you and your partner are on the same love page. Discuss your feelings for each other to test the waters." Wow. Talk about your feelings. Wow.

Ok, I know I've never really dated anyone. Shocked out there right? But are our couples really just messing around so much and watching so much TV on dates or just going to movies so that every single date they never discuss their feelings? Like there's not one date even when they discuss how things are going? If that's the case, like what are these couples talking about when they talk about things? Are they talking about cheese? Cleaning products? Sports? I'm just kind of perplexed.

Last one ...
"And if you’ve said the “L” word too soon, it’s OK to say, “Oops I blurted out in a gooey moment and I’m not really I am not ready either.”"

Is that quote really going to fly with your significant other? I don't think so. A gooey moment?!?! C'mon now. This isn't Saturday morning cartoons or the Disney channel. I know real life isn't like a Matthew McConaughey movie, but you should be able to come up with something more articulate than gooey moment. And you can't just change your opinion by saying, "I'm really not ready either." Words are like tooth paste man - after it's out of the tube it's not going back in ... ever. So let's not pretend here. Be mature enough to talk it out or just let some time pass and then talk about it.

I guess my problem with this article is that I think I could have written it, it's basic, someone with a doctorate wrote it, it's taken as serious, and it's horribly lame. Most people deal with this on an every day basis. If you can't think this stuff through yourself, you shouldn't be in a relationship or telling anyone that you love them.

And a whole other blog for another time should be, "Why are guys painted as idiots?" I know we usually drop the ball and suck and have commitment issues, but this whole article is about the girl saying I love you and the guy being like, "Love (grunt) not good (grunt)." Some of us are a little more advanced than this.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go eat a snack pack and read about video games online.

4 comments:

James said...

know what this blog needs? matooke.

Joel Settecase said...

I haven't read this article yet, but I just want to say one thing:

Aight Keithy Keith ya overshadowed my blog
Jus like LA's overshadowed by smog
But before I read ya newest article that ya post
You better reconnize people love me the most because they're CRUNK!!!!

Joel Settecase said...

By the way, I printed this one out and read it while on the john. Yes that's right, the john. And the best part is, that's not the first time I've done that.

GMack said...

Great post. I laughed and was evaluating my existence as a human at the same time. Let's take it to MSNBC.