Tuesday, July 05, 2005

"Highway to the..." where?!

This post is to drudge up an old feud that my ex-roomate Ryan McCracken and I had back in college. Ryan, as many of you know, is a Top Gun geek. The dude probably knows every line in the movie backwards and forwards. McCracken has even been seen occasionally moonlighting as call sign Maverick at social functions. It is because of McCracken's superious knowledge of Top Gun that we butt heads over one cryptic part of the movie. He maintains he has more in depth knowledge of one particular aspect of the movie, whereas I believe all his Top Gun knowledge has blinded him to the truth. I present to you now the debate over...


THE HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE!!
Maverick: Yeah...I always wondered where the danger zone is!

Goose: Here let me draw you a picture!


Now pay attention, kids, because this is where you get to submit your feedback. McCracken and I have long debated the story behind the Kenny Loggins song "Highway to the Danger Zone". What's obvious about the song is the fact that it's a rockin' 80's pseudo-metal hit that makes you want to play air guitar really badly. Actually, if you have never played Air Guitar while listening to "Highway to the Danger Zone", I question your ability to appreciate good music. So the Danger Zone, quite obviously, is a rock n roll classic.

What is more nebulous about "Highway" , however, is whether it's about flying a jet...or having SEX! Sounds pretty preposterous right? McCracken has long maintained that the song is an allegory for coital relations. I maintain what most rational human beings maintain...that it's just a rockin' guitar classic that makes you want to stand on your desk at work and pretend you're rockin' Wembley Arena with your fierce guitar wielding skills . Let's break down the song and I'll let you all side with me on this one:

"Highway to the Danger Zone"
Kenny Loggins

(verse 1)
"Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

(chorus 1)
Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone

(verse 2)
Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the deck
And shovin' into overdrive

(chorus 2)
Highway to the Danger Zone
I'll take youRight into the Danger Zone

(bridge)
You'll never say hello to you
Until you get it on the red line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go

(air guitar solo!!)

(verse 3)
Out along the edges
Always where I burn to be
The further on the edge
The hotter the intensity

(last refrain)
Highway to the Danger Zone
Gonna take you
Right into the Danger Zone
Highway to the Danger Zone"



So there's the song. There are all the lyrcs, thanks to 365 lyrics and a few other places. And at this point, I will concede that there are some images that might contain slight sexual innuendo. HOWEVER! The overwhelming gyst of the song is about flying a plane. When was the last time a chick made you jump off a deck? Metal under tension? I don't think this song is about having sex with a robot woman. And "Highway to the Danger Zone"? Come on, McCracken. I don't get the innuendo there. I think there is clearly enough evidence (on top of the fact that the movie is about jet planes) to suggest that the song is not suggestive in any way. Highway to the Danger Zone? It's about flying a jet really fast. "Hanging with the Boys" (another slightly less rockin' Kenny Loggins Top Gun hit), however? Come on Kenny...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of dual meaning? (Please note the following is said with COMPLETE sarcasm) It's this clever little writing trick that some songwriters use to be clever, tongue-in-check and keep people guessing on the "actual" meaning of the song. How very postmodern of them. They give you just enough to think one thing, and then BAM! throw you off with something else...sooo brillant. (end sarcasm)

Andrew...I'm disappointed in you....C'mon!!!

Anonymous said...

I will not rest until Kenny Loggins himself says that the song is not implicitly about sexual intercourse. Lets think about it a moment... Top Gun is about Tom Cruise using his "maverick" style to fight Commies in jets and score with Kelly McGillis. Why wouldn't the theme song to the movie capture both of these critical elements? After reading through the lyrics you would have to be the most sheltered of home-schoolers not to catch at least one blatant sexual reference. If the song were only about flying jets as my esteemed admissions counselor friend supposes, why would the brilliant Kenny Loggins include all of the suggestive lyrics. Clearly, anyone who is capable of producing such hits as "Footloose", and the Caddyshack theme song "I'm Alright" knows what he is doing when penning song lyrics. By conceding some innuendos, Andrew has failed to present an argument persuasive enough to relinquish all doubts about the true meaning of the song lyrics. With this ambiguity, my argument still stands that Kenny Loggins, with out a doubt, intentionally wrote an edgy song about a wild love affair that masquerades as a song about flying jets. The title "Danger Zone" refers to that area where the "pilot" (aka seeker of the love affair) enters the critical moment when he either scores the "hit" or "crashes and burns." The song is about a cassanova that enjoys the thrill of this risky pursuit of sexual thrills. I hope that someday Andrew can swallow his pride and admit the fallacy of his argument. If he expects me to yield he had better have old Kenny backing him up...

Donkey Patrol said...

DECEIVED!

You have all been deceivd by subjective suggestive lyrics!I tried to get in touch with Kenny, but this is what I found out (taken from the online chat with Kenny Loggins and a bunch of nerds):

"Kenny: When we are done with the one-on-one chat, I would love to get this group's take on what you thought of the Method & Red show.

dek: are you planning on having a sax player in your band again?

Kenny: I have no plans for a sax player right now. Anything is possible, but I'm not drawn to that sound right now."

Also:

donkeypatrol: Hey Kenny, is Highway to the Danger Zone about flying a jet, or having sex with that oh so hot lesbian Kelly McGillis?

Kenny: Interesting question
Kenny: Perhaps it's a little early in the separation to give you a fully formed answer. "

I think it's pretty evident where Kenny stands on this issue. I also found out that I have to pay $25 bucks in order to join the Kenny Loggins online fan club where I would be able to send him emails. I don't know about you all, but this arguement is not worth $25 a month to possibly hear back from Kenny.

I understand the double entendre, I understand innuendo, and by conceding that there might be some innuendo does not mean I'm conceding that the whole song is about sex. I say there are some sketchy lyrics, but overall, the gyst of the song is about flying a plane, not about banging Kelly McGillis. The preponderance of evidence points to the fact that the song underscores the main theme of the movie: it's a movie about flying jets.

Donkey Patrol said...

And Amanda, get your feet out of the gray area and take a stand! It's more fun that way!

Anonymous said...

and now we're 12...great

Anonymous said...

colin says:

the danger zone, andrew, is and alway will be, pussy

what kenny loggins really wants you to know is that he is alright, and he wants to know why you always give him a fight

"I say there are some sketchy lyrics, but overall, the gyst of the song is about flying a plane, not about banging Kelly McGillis." I don't really think you have even seen TOP GUN. Somewhere, Tom Skerritt is seething.

Donkey Patrol said...

Actually, I concede that I have no ever REALLY seen Top Gun. The last few times I tried were:

1) Back in Spanish Class in high school. "Ay de mi! Ay de mi! Goose! Mi hermano! Ahhhhhh waaaaaaaa" doesn't hold my interest for the most part, so I didn't pay attention

2) I've tried to watch Top Gun with several girlfriends but once again, I'm usually distracted.

3) McCracken I think tried to make me watch it but he kept touching my knee...it was awkward so I left.


So Yes, Colin, I have never truly watched Top Gun, thus my argument MIGHT be slightly undercut.

Anonymous said...

pathetic andrew, pathetic...


BTW: my interview went well today...but I will NEVER understand how people manage to commute to work in NYC every day. It's SOOO exhausting. I was up at 5am, on the road by 6am....all to get to an interview at 8:45am...unbelievable! But the interview went well and they seemed to like me...I find out at the end of today. Well...hope your day is going well...put up a new entry...the convo has flatlined. ;)