Thursday, July 28, 2005

David Letterman has got it right

In regards to Keith's blog, let me put some CYA statements up to detract from his future blogs...he always appreciates that:


1) When I play Street Fighter 2, Satan actually takes over my body and I cannot be held responsible for whatever happens to controllers, Nintendoes, glass windows, cabinets, lamps, beer bottles, the ears of young innocent children in the next room. I cannot help it...stay tuned for the gritty details
2) Ikea is really sweet
3) Whatever Keith says about hating my pics on the blog, know that he's going to do something equally dubious and dastardly when I'm on vacation. So just remember to look at the speck in your own eye...

Ok with that said, I did have a real point to this blog. One of my favourite (British spelling) tele (british slang) programmes (British spelling) is the Late Show, with David Letterman. Few people have mastered the art of dry, redundant humor like Dave has. Hence, he is one of the few television icons that I actually attach some respect and/or admiration to. One of my favorite segments on Dave's show is "Is This Anything": the segment where Dave and Paul debate the inherent value and worth of some person, or thing, or performance right in front of the audience! They then wrap up their conversation and either agree that, indeed, the actual thing before them is something, or that is isn't anything. It's quite funny, and the elitist underpinnings of such a segment have to make you laugh.

So now that you know one of the reasons why I want to be Dave Letterman, take a second to play a little round of "Is This Anything" with yourself. Honestly, people... is this anything ? I still can't figure it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uhhh...an "artistic" expression (and i use artistic loosely) of the meaninglessness of extistence?



how very nihilistic of them...