Thursday, March 30, 2006

Time for a Lesson

Alright guys - Keith's turn. Andrew did an excellent job exposing Rock the Vote for the farce that it is. He did a ton of research, made some sense, and gave us a plan of action. I dig it. Now it's my turn. I want to give you a heads up for my plan of attack. Am I attacking a particular organization? No. Am I attacking a person? Not really? Am I going after a set of ideas? Not really. So I know you're all dying to know where I plan on going.

I plan on discussing, in several forms, the oversaturation of society. I'm sick of it. Society has reached the breaking point. We can no longer hold any more information without collapsing.

Merriam Webster defines saturation as, "loaded to capacity."

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see oversatuation os "overloaded or exceeding capacity."

Think back to basic chemistry. You remember taking water loading it with sugar, it held some, then it started sinking to the bottom. The water couldn't hold any more sugar. You then heated the water and it held more sugar ... until it became cool again and disturbed. Bang sugar falls to the bottom of the cup.

That my friends is oversaturation. And our society ... has reached a point. Let's continue the analogy. We my friends are the water, filled with sugar, about to be disturbed. We can't hold any more information without becoming stupid or disturbed. There are so many voices competing for our attention that we can no longer hear our own thoughts. It's my goal to make this evident through a series of blogs. Subjects will tackle include, but are not limited too:

1.) First and foremost the recent quest of Andrew and myself ... to get rid of cable TV. Why did we get rid of cable? What do we hope to accomplish?

2.) Sports in society. We've lost it. My teams fifth wide receiver will make multiple millions of dollars. This is absurd.

3.) The horrible state of music these days. Lyricall awful. Creatively dead. Severely lacking.

4.) Partisan politics ... all one sided and no compromise.

5.) Gas prices why are they so darn high? Ok that one is just a recent complaint.

But these are things I will explore, starting with the state of TV and how it's led to oversaturation. Keep an eye out over the weekend for my first installment.

I'm off to watch some TV on this our very last night of cable ... so refreshing.

4 comments:

James said...

how will life go on without the food network?

Trey said...

I "gave up" (can't afford) cable now that I'm in New York. It's lent itself to a little more reading, but I find I can watch mindless television even with fewer channels. Oh, and in NYC I get the Food Network without cable. I won't tell you how much time I spend on all the "in the kitchen" programming. Which reminds me of when I learned about supersaturation in highschool chemistry and we made no-bake fudge. Ha ha... full circle.

Donkey Patrol said...

I made no bake fudge in high school as well!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Keith,

I normally only respond to the postings of young master smith. However, I feel that you deserve some love as well.

1.) I commend you for getting rid of cable. It is overpriced and rarely do they have quality shows. I say bring back Arrested Development! And then on with the a la carte pricing!

2.) All sports, teams, and players are overrated and overpaid. This excludes everyone ever associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers organization. Except tommy "ol' three and out" maddox.

3.) Agreed! The indie scene has some good stuff. Besides there is enough good music recorded before 1980 to last me the rest of my life.

4.) Agreed!

5.) *insert iraq joke here*

Keith, good luck with future bloggings.

Sincerely,

Colin Mann, Esq.