Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Didn't Get Dumped This Year

So as you all know ... the Pittsburgh Steelers are stinking Super Bowl Champions!!!! If you read my earlier blog I compared it to getting dumped by your girlfriend. This year I didn't get dumped. I actually went to the game, and it was phenomenal. There's so much to say about it, but I have a few sweet thoughts about the Super Bowl. So I'm going to tackle them a few thoughts at a time.

The game was awesome. It took us an hour and a half to get into the stadium as they had the area blocked off for about a square mile. We had to wait in a line about a mile long. We snaked through all kinds of metal railings and then through a pat down and metal detector. Outside the stadium it was like 150 to one in terms of Steelers fans to Hawks fans. We got in at about 3 and spent the next 7 hours in there. The stadium was electric. Nothing like bullet points so here we go:

1.) Aaron Neville sucked with the national anthem. The rest was sweet.

2.) ABC must have muted the crowd for TV. After watching the MVP part on Tivo Tom Brady was booed a lot louder at the game and Franco and Swann got much louder cheers. ABC did something. Even the half time show was sweeter with more energy and noise. It sucked on TV, but was ok live.

3.) Sloppy first half was fairly interesting since it was close and fans were into it.

4.) The Willie Parker play happened right in front of us and was so freaking cool. The crowd became infinitely more cool after that play since they loosened up.

5.) Freddie Prinze Jr. asked us Super Bowl trivia questions during TV timeouts while you got commercials. I don't care how bad the commercials were ... I lost there. There's no way I will watch his stupid show on ABC.

6.) We had two Seahawks fans behind us. Really annoying before the game, but they had, "That Look" on their face after the game. That Look being the one I've had on my face before during AFC Championship games. I had purposely been reaching in front of him all game to another younger Steeler fan for high fives. I felt pretty badly at the end, so I tried to console him.

7.) I got a pseudo-attractive forty year old lady to rub my stomach and my lucky 1995 shirt all game. I was pretty pumped about that.

8.) The end of the game was so surreal. It seemed like the trophy presentation was about 3 minutes. I just kept sitting there crying. I had tears streaming down my face while hugging and high fiving everyone. I just kept looking the fans in the face and saying, "We're the effing champs." I asked, "What song do we sing now? Here We Go doesn't work anymore." I kept asking if it was real and hugging people while just soaking it all. The confetti was for us and the thirty-one other teams were all crappier than we were. It felt great.

9.) Nothing like pouring out of the stadium afterward and high fiving every fan in the street in black and gold. Singing we are the Champions, Here we Go, and Na na na na hey hey hey good bye. It was so sweet. I just kept yelling, skipping, and dancing through the twenty degree night. I paid 30 dollars for a black Super Bowl Champion shirt with yellow lettering that I wore yesterday and today and plan on wearing all week. It was so unreal sweet.

10.) I'm starting to get pissed at Sports talk radio, opinion shows, and 24 hour coverage. People just say stuff to make stories, get people pissed, and tuning in and listening. Colin Cowherd said today that he wouldn't recognize a Super Bowl champion. He would just go by the Patriots winning the last one and trying to three-peat next year. That's JUST RIDICULOUS! If I punch you in the face, and there is video evidence of it, but you think it was the wrong thing to happen, you can't just say it never happened. It did. So eff you Cowherd. I'm never listening to your show again. Why he can't talk about Randle El's sweet throw or Willie actually breaking a big run is beyond me! Instead they drum up controversy, knowing it will piss off Steeler Nation (who were out in strong force) and they'd call in and his show would be better. So I think the fact that the officiating was bad has been BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER by stinking ESPN shows.

11.) Due to this I'm starting to boycott opinion shows. You can find something to gripe about in every game. I've yelled about the Patriots sucking for years and being lame champions. But from now on I'm only going to listen to minimal amounts of ESPN and coverage like that. So those are my thoughts. I'm able to enjoy the Championship because I wasn't tainted from the get-go by hearing how bad the calls were. I look at them and think they're exaggerating a bit for a story. I think we did what we had to do. It's just like a regular season when you win a lot of close one's ... like our 15-1 year last year. We won some ugly close ones ... but a win's a win. Way to suck Seahawks.

All-in-all it was easily the best day of my life up until this point. The Steelers are Super Bowl Champions and I went all the way!!!!

No comments: