Friday, September 02, 2005

"If I didn't have money...that would suck"

Alright people, here's what's up. I know that Keith just posted about a serious issue...i.e. how Wal Mart is destroying our society. That's huge. Go read that. Then read this. It's about a destructive force in our society, that everyone passes over and no one really takes the time to stand up against. What I'm talking about here is the degeneracy of...you guessed it...

MTV

I just spent the past half hour watching "My Super Sweet 16" and I have something to say. Let's talk about MTV for a second. Music aside, what do we all know about MTV? There are some things that everyone can agree MTV attempts to purport on its endless broadcast of senselessness. Let's make a list:
1) MTV Sucks
2) MTV, though a network supposedly committed to bringing you up to date on the world of music, more often than not takes up social causes like dealing with unpopularity, social injustice and how to correct it, free speech, equal rights for all people, protesting our Republican president, and just generally towing the Democratic party line right? Come on Democrats, feel me here.
3) Be true to yourself
4) Commercials
5) Reality TV, which showcases the uncanny relationship between scripted Television and 'real life'

Everyone agrees MTV shows less, and less music. That's why we have MTV2, MTV online, and MTV On Demand, or whatever button you push on MTV online that shows you music videos you should be seeing during the waking hours of your life (but doesn't).

While I was watching 'My Super Sweet 16' on MTV, I was struck at how MTV consistently shows conflicting messages to it's maleable, and impressionable audience of 16-25 year olds. This show is soley dedicated to showing you how spoiled little girls can be when their dad's have cash, and their friends' dad's don't. This one episode I was watching showcased a 15 year old girl, spoiled beyond belief, who felt that she 'deserved all the money that she got from her dad because she was a good girl'. What's worse than that, this show went on to showcase how this incredibly immature, self absored, and generally unintelligent girl discriminated against her classmates based on age, sex, what type of clothing they wore, where they grew up, how much money their parent's made, and whether or not inviting certain people to her party would convey to a watchin world how popular she was.

Let's, for a minute, assume that MTV was actually SATV, which stands for Social Activism Tele-Vision. Let's assume that MTV wasn't in the business of talking about music (which it clearly isn;t) and asuume that it was a network dedicated to ensnaring the minds of young Americans into believing their version of what amounts to social justice. By all accounts, the 'Music Television Network' has sent numerous conflicting messages antithetical to its design and purpose. While on the one hand it shows shows like 'Made' and 'Take a Stand: fight for your rights against X social malady', on the other it shows programs which were specifically meant to highlight how awesome it is to exploit other people, unearth their weaknesses, and denegrate others based on a temporal, fleeting period of 'status'. Shows like Cribs, My Sweet..., Laguna Beach, and others flly in the face of all of MTV's activist stances against discrimination, hate, and intolerance. What MTV is effectively saying is 'sell out to whatever gets you to where you need to be, whether your cause be just or malicious'.

Honestly people. You put some 15 year old ho on TV, dress her up like she's 25 and working the Red Light District, and tell the world that 'All that matters now is that I'm the most popular girl in school'. Then you're going to turn around and in the next half hour segment tell women to respect themselves, and that beauty is not defined by what you put on or who you know? Give me a break! It's when MTV puts public awareness spots against teen drinking and unprotected sex, then follows them up with shows dedicated to exposing how you can get away with underage drinking and a life of licensciousness that we know MTV is a network for the sellout, for the selfish, for the vain, for the uncontrolled.

I vomit on MTV. I vomit on everything about MTV. And I know that most of you reading this blog will echo my sentiments. But it bears repeating that this network is garbage. Look at what's going on in New Orleans. Look at the people stealing TV's, DVD players, car stereos, Rolexes, and other assorted bling and tell me that's not influenced by the garbage foisted upon them by MTV. You look at the people making gang signs when their house has been destoyed, because they're so tuned into the mentality of 'get yours or die trying'. You look at the people waving their guns in the air and shooting their relatives for a bag of ice. You look at the chaos, and how it mirrors the programming showcased on the Music Television Network and tell me there's no correlation. Look me straight in the face and tell me there's no correlation!! I vomit this network and the commercialization that it sells out to. I vomit on this network that tells you money is the key to happiness and success. I vomit on this network for telling people that the government owes you something, that you sit tight and 'know how you do' and the government will be right along to cure all your social ills. I vomit on this network for creating a senseless, desensitized mob ready and willing to snuff out the life of their own kin for a chance at making it big. In the most pure, and unadulturated sense I say...I vomit on it all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MySQL enters Unix pact with SCO
The SCO Group, which launched a high-profile attack against Linux, has signed a partnership with open-source database seller MySQL , the companies said Friday.
Great Blog! I'll be Back! If you have time go see my gas saver related site. Visit it Soon. Thank You.

Anonymous said...

uhh...who is that making comments?! ha ha ha

andrew!!!! I LOVE THIS ENTRY!!!

i have too much to say about how much i hate MTV and ESPECIALLY my Super 16...whatever that show is....

all i have to say to sum up my rage within is this: MTV is the micro version of what's wrong with America today.

thank you.

Donkey Patrol said...

Thank you Ms. Albee, I have not even been able to click over to MTV on my TV since watching that show. It's putrid. I also hate the fake comments put up by glorified pop up ads, but acerbic cynicism aside, how has the whole moving experience been for you?

Anonymous said...

Mr. Smith,

I'm glad we can finally agree on something. If I ever meet one of the people from that show in real life, I will run them over with my car...several times.

Moving has been good. The family I'm living with is really cute and fun. I'm feeling good here...now I need to find a job. After that, I'll be on my way to my own apartment. Well...see ya later! :)

Joel Settecase said...

Hey,
Even though I already posted an article (I call them articles and not 'entries' because it sounds more like a genuine website and not a journal) about how terrible MTV and pop-cultural things are, I have to say that I feel what you're saying. But I think it's unfair to blame everything that is going on in New Orleans on MTV. There is no way that one channel could create all that chaos and violence and awful exhibition of human nature at its worst. No, at least 30% of the blame has to go to VH1 as well.
Keep up the good work fellas.
Joel
www.settecase.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I, too, vomit on MTV. As someone passionate about music (which Mr. Smith is well aware of), I actually get ill when I think about the generation of young people being influenced by the pure garbage that network spews out. MTV used to be a voice of the younger generation, and for a while it was a great thing for the music industry. But, as always, the pursuit of the almighty dollar has taken priority over what should be priority 1: letting people know about good music. Music Television (MTV) should not be allowed to use that name anymore. If I met any of the executives who are running MTV, I would punch them in the face as many times as I could (before being arrested). Hopefully networks that actaully care about music will begin to spring up (Fuse would be an example) because the only people who are interested in MTV these days are naive 14 year olds, older people who still think watching MTV will keep them "hip" and up-to-date on what goes on with young people, and the asshead group of celebrities that MTV caters to.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://garciniacambogiaselectz.weebly.com]
garcinia cambogia dosage for weight loss[/url] is the rout adipose blazing wrest present in hawk these days a days. Lose upto 10 kg in 1 month. garcinia cambogia select